2 years ago, if you would have told me you made your own mayo, I probably would have thought you were dumb. Why would you take the time to make it at home when you can buy perfectly good mayo on the condiment isle of your local grocery store?
Over the past several years, I’ve slowly begun to change the way I think. I used to be a work-aholic, so health and cooking were the last thing on my mind. I kind of prided myself on being so clueless in the kitchen. But as I had kids, and I realized there was more to life than working all the time, and we couldn’t go out to eat as much because it’s just not fun with a bunch of screaming kids, I began to dabble in the kitchen. I kind of sucked at first, but the more I practice, the better I get. I kind of like it now
Anyway, all that to say that I have been making my own mayo for a few months now. It’s just so much better for you, and it really is easy. In the time it takes you to walk down that isle, you can pretty much make it yourself from scratch.
I posted a chicken salad recipe on Instagram, and some of you asked for the homemade mayo recipe, so here it is. Hope you enjoy it!
A delicious, easy mayo recipe.
- 1 - Egg Yolk
- 2-3 tsp - Cajun or Spicy Mustard
- 1/2 tsp - Lime Juice
- 1/2 tsp - Lemon Juice
- 1/2 tsp - Salt
- Pepper to Taste
- 3/4 cup - Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp - Honey(or a few drops of Stevia)
- - Add all of your ingredients except the avocado oil to a food processor and mix well
- - With your food processor on high, begin adding your avocado oil slowly...really really slowly. Like, just a drop or a drizzle at a time.
- - You want your mixture to create an emulsion and if you add your oil to quickly, it will be a big yuck mess.
- - As you see it begin to change into a thicker mixture, you can add a little more of your oil at a time.
- - Just keep mixing until it looks like mayo! It usually takes me about 4-5 minutes for my mayo to be complete.
- - Keep refrigerated
- - You could use most any oil to make this mayo. I've tried several and avocado tastes the best to me!
- - This is a raw egg mayo. If you are concerned about using raw eggs, you may want to research a cooked egg mayo.
Kelly Moore Blog http://kellymoorebag.com/blog/