12 DIY Day’s of Christmas: Day 3

To celebrate the Christmas season, I’ve asked some of my closest(and most creative) friends to share with us their favorite holiday DIY projects.  I’m excited to introduce you to my friends as well as their great ideas!  They will be sharing recipes, decorating ideas, projects you can do with your kids and more. Stay tuned for the next few weeks, and hopefully we will all be inspired to be creative this season!

Today, my Mom is sharing with us her mini gingerbread houses made out of graham crackers.  These are perfect to make with your kids, and definitely liven up any countertop.  The only problem I’m having is Posey keeps “accidentally” breaking things off and eating them!  In a few days, I’ll be posting about my mom’s full size gingerbread houses.  They are beautiful, and she’s even taking orders for Christmas!

Thanks mom for sharing!

Judy Moore’s Mini Gingerbread House

Item’s you will need:
Royal Icing
quart size zip lock bag(to pipe on icing)
graham crackers
candy to decorate your house
cardboard wrapped in foil(for the house to sit on)
crunchy oat squares(thatch roof..this is optional)

Begin your project with a piece of cardboard covered in foil for your base. I cut the graham crackers with a sharp knife in the shapes shown in the photos. I always use royal icing to “glue” the house base to the platform because it dries VERY hard. You can put your icing into a quart sized freezer bag and snip off a small corner of the bag for easy application. The Recipe for Royal Icing is included in the package of Wilton Meringue Powder. You can buy meringue powder at Michael’s. If you can’t find meringue powder, just google a recipe for a similar icing that calls for egg whites.  Assemble the house with royal icing. You can see how we assembled the house in the photos below.  Add your roof and let your house sit for a little bit to dry. Now it’s time to decorate!  There are really no limits to what you can use to accessorize your house!  I recommend spending a moment on the candy isle for inspiration!

written by (all posts by )

21 comments

1. These are adorable!

Comment by Amber
    December 7, 2011 at 11:48 am

2. Wow, these are wonderful! going to have to give them a try! LOL, best thing about it… no baking ;)

Comment by Angela
    December 7, 2011 at 1:32 pm

3. Hmm I see a weekend project for my kids & I coming on! Thaks for sharing.

Comment by Ellie A.
    December 7, 2011 at 4:54 pm

4. I have always enjoyed looking at them but never made one, not even in Girl Scouts, LOL :)

Comment by Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly
    December 7, 2011 at 11:15 pm

5. Oh those are so cute! I’ve always wanted to make a gingerbread house but never had. I might need to do that this year if I get enough free time! Loving all these DIY ideas!

Comment by Heather Monk
    December 7, 2011 at 11:56 pm

6. wonderful…thanks

Comment by twins(bi)mamma
    December 21, 2011 at 5:14 am

7. Simply, simple and simply beautiful.

Comment by JCAllen
    December 27, 2011 at 2:09 pm

8. I have made these for my preschool class to decorate at Christmas for years and initially had problems getting them to stick together quickly with the icing. I found that melting white sugar in an electric frying pan and dipping the edges of each wafer in it and then assembling it as you go works great. Be careful – the melted sugar is HOT but works like Crazy glue and hold great. If you use paper plates to put the house on for the kids to decorate, dip the bottom in the sugar and it will stick to the plate and won’t slide on to the floor when they are finished with it.

Comment by Connie
    August 23, 2012 at 12:54 am

9. How did you get the one cracker to be pointed/angled for the roof?

Comment by Kayte
    August 24, 2012 at 6:45 pm

10. How cute!

Comment by Patty A
    August 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm

11. How do you get the cracker to be so pointed with out it breaking? Every time I try cutting a graham cracker into a million pieces.

Comment by Kayte
    August 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm

12. Use an exact-o Knife to cut the point, I have even used hot glue to glue the house together, if you are not going to eat it and then let the kids decorate it.

Comment by Heidi Jaster
    November 26, 2012 at 10:51 am

13. Oh these are perfect! I’ve always loved making them but hate gingerbread! Now I can make my house AND eat it too!

Comment by Cat
    December 2, 2012 at 12:55 am

14. We do this every year and the best tip I have found is that you can use a container of premade white icing (any brand) and stir in a few tablespoons of the Wilton Merigue powder right into it. The powder makes it set quickly and securely and you don’t have to go thru the process of making the royal icing bc works just as well.

Comment by jen
    December 4, 2012 at 8:37 am

15. wow……. that’s amazing!!! how cute +_+

Comment by Rorodi
    December 6, 2012 at 8:50 am

16. Hi im Luciana from Argentina, great and cute idea, thanks for sharing!!!

Comment by Luciana
    December 11, 2012 at 10:34 am

17. Kelly, I should have read the directions a little more carefully. I really wanted to make my houses look like your wonderful little homes….it didn’t turn out exactly. LOL! Next time I’m using the ROYAL icing as you suggest. Epic fail on my part! You can check out our creations via http://testingtrendy123.blogspot.com/2012/12/tornado-strikes-gingerbread-village.html

Comment by Melody
    December 12, 2012 at 10:07 am

18. We are making these at my daughter’s annual Cookie Party next week! Thanks!

Comment by Carla Allen
    December 14, 2012 at 9:00 pm

19. Just made 28 of these tonight for my class! A-dorable! Thank you so much! Thanks also to Connie for the tip on using the melted sugar! It worked like a charm. My class will be thrilled with these beauties!

Comment by Sylvia
    December 15, 2012 at 12:35 am

20. Wow it`s wonderful. I envy you!! Um..I have a question..Can you tell me that ring-shaped candy`s product name?(I`m not foreigner so, I unaccustomed to using English. I beg your understanding.)

Comment by da kyeong
    December 18, 2012 at 5:46 am

21. What brand of graham wafers did you use? I can only find square ones!

Comment by diana johnson