Pallet Planter

I’ve been perusing Pinterest(follow me on pinterest) lately for ways to display my plants as well as creative uses for old pallet’s. I saw someone secure mason jar’s to an old piece of wood and use it as a planter, and this gave me the idea of doing the same thing with an old pallet and terra-cotta pots, which I love!  I was thinking about making a window planter to go under my kitchen window, but I think this is even better!  It was really easy, and very inexpensive.

What you’ll need:
old pallet
hose clamps(I found these at Lowes.  I purchased the terra-cotta pots first, and then took them to the plumbing section to make sure I purchased the clamps that fit)
terra-cotta pots

There are small slits in the hose clamp already, so this was the easiest place to screw it to the pallet

written by (all posts by )

34 responses to “Pallet Planter”

1. Kim says:

That’s adorable! My husband and I have been collecting pallets for a few days now – we’re making a low, 4-seat farm-style-table, for our backyard and a pie safe type thing w/shelves on the wall. I’m obsessed with anything to do with pallets. Your idea would make a perfect faux wall covering for our horrible paint-chipped wall! lol
    Thanks for posting!!

2. this is SO cute! pinterest is the best, is it not!? i plan to dive into similar projects for our patio too 🙂

3. Stacy says:

Lovely! Added your version to Pinterest so others can peruse you now 🙂

4. Stephanie says:

I so love this idea! I have this “wasted space” that is around the corner of our house between the fence and the end of the house! This would be perfect to make a little garden in! I heart you!

5. sharon banks says:

love them…so going to do this!!!

6. Laura says:

This is such a good idea. Some rusty barbed wire to hold the terra cotta pots would give it even more farm charm.

7. Michelle J. says:

Such a wonderful idea! Your planter turned out just beautiful. I may try to do something like this around the back of my house so when we are sitting on our deck around our pool we would have something pretty to look at!

8. Betsy K says:

Love this idea. I’ve been looking for a decent pallet, but the ones we are finding are in rough shape. I really like this as a patio herb garden and think with some vibrantly colored pots, it would be gorgeous! (We live in AZ – need more color in the backyard).

9. Opal says:

I love this idea we recently tore down some old fencing & now I have some ideas on how to reuse this wood

10. Jean says:

How did you get the screws through the little holes??? I have everything to make this, and can’t get the screws in!

11. Carrie says:

THANK YOU!! Found this idea on Pinterest and I love it! Thanks for coming up with it! 🙂 Working on it right now!

12. Diane says:

I posted this on my FB wall and one of my male friends pointed out that this is gonna be front heavy, especially when you water. Have you had any problems with it tipping? Do you anchor the pallet at all?? I really want to do this, love the look.

13. Erin says:

Saw this on Pinterest and wanted you to know what a genius idea this is! Thanks for sharing!

14. Cindy Meitle says:

I have over 200 potted cacti on my back patio along my fence, I’ve been trying to figure out how to “layer” them and get most of them off the ground. This is a genius, cost-effective idea that anyone can make. Best of all, I’m a renter and this is something I can do that does not do any type of permanent damage or alteration to a wall or a fence. BETTER…I can take it with me wherever I go, if I don’t have a yard these can fit on a deck! What a great way for people with little space to have a bountiful garden of herbs, blossoming flowers, cacti or vegetables that vine!

15. Tiffany says:

That is so cute, thanks for sharing! I love reusing palettes for home decor purposes!

16. seabluelee says:

What a creative idea, I love it! I’ve just moved to a new locale where, between rabbits and gophers, it’s hard to grow tender plants in the ground. This looks perfect.

17. holly says:

absolutely IN LOVE with this planter!! I pinned to my Outdoor board on Pinterest, can’t wait to tackle this project. Thanks for the awesome inspiration!!

18. Priscilla says:

LOVE this! To fix the “big screw” problem, I just used a screw on top & bottom of the clamps. Screw one in, wedge in the clamp, then screw the bottom one in tight! It holds secure and you don’t have to break any screws (as I did the other way) HA! My hubby loves when I play with his tools. =P

19. Andrea says:

I’m having the same problem as Jean. I just can’t get the screws through the holes. Did you hold the clamps in place so he could apply that brute force? Did he use any special tools?

20. Ladylyn Huett says:

Any suggestions on what to plant in these small clay pots?

21. debbyk says:

Love this idea!

22. Katie says:

Just curious, do you have any problem with the plants staying hydrated?

23. eric says:

what a great idea! as a renter with limited space, and as someone who loves to garden this solves alot of problems

24. James Stokes says:

I really want to try this Pallet Planter

25. fatima zahra says:

easy DIY 🙂 thanks for sharing

26. sue says:

If you lean 2 back to back you can get double space

27. Katie says:

This is probably a silly question, but where do I get a pallet from? Home Depot? Thanks for this idea! Can’t wait to make it!! 🙂

28. Hey Kelly, this is such a great little resource, i recenlty just commented on a blog post where a DIY project was to effectively turn the pallet into garden all shelves for hanging baskets, good post and nice images

29. VERNELL EVANS says:

30. Michele Leblanc says:

Not cool that you don’t say what type of screws you use!